Friday, June 26, 2009

Viva Las Vegas!

WARNING: This post is entirely too long, and there are entirely too many pictures. If you don't like seeing pictures of my kids you're probably not reading this blog, but if you do like pictures of my kids, brace yourself. You may need to take a potty break now!
The boys and I have just returned from our nine day trip to Las Vegas. We flew out to visit Ryan's family and catch up with some old friends. As ususal, we stayed busy and the time flew by quickly. This was my first time flying with both the boys by myself, but it all went very smoothly, thanks largely in part to the kindness of strangers.

I'll start at the beginning of our trip. The flight to Las Vegas went so smoothly. We flew direct, which was wonderful. Here's how the flight looked for about the first hour and a half. I had not considered packing a book or a magazine for myself, so honestly, I was a little bored.
About a half hour before our flight landed a near catastrophe occurred. Our DVD player died. The battery was good, but something happened, and it could no longer spin the disks correctly. Luckily Clayton rolled with the punches and played with some cars for the remainder of the flight. Gigi (Ryan's mom) was able to get a gate pass in Las Vegas, and she was waiting at the gate when we arrived. That made getting on the tram to the baggage claim a lot easier.

That night the whole Las Vegas family got together to celebrate Uncle Matt's (Ryan's brother) birthday.

Aunt Kristin (Ryan's sister) made the best carrot cake I've ever tasted. The cousins enjoyed blowing out the candles.


I got a chance to meet my newest neice, Alyssa Brooke, Matt's little girl. She is so beautiful, and I think she looks a lot like her mama, Jayann. Alyssa was born at the end of March, just after our last Vegas visit.

When we're in Las Vegas, we usually keep pretty busy. Here are more than a few pictures.


Playing in the jumping fountain at a nearby park.

Trying to beat the heat.



Hanging out at the pool.


Visiting Red Rock Canyon.

Cousin Julianne (4 years old) feeding Eli. Note her mouth wide open, coaching Eli. What a little mama.


Jack and Julianne entertaining Eli.

Clayton resisting love from Mama.

Clayton, Julianne, and Jack enjoying the outdoor concert at The District.

Eli hanging out at the concert.

This is the construction on the new bridge that will bypass the Hoover Dam. Anyone who has ever driven across the dam knows that traffic there is usually a nightmare. Trucks are no longer allowed across the dam, but the post-9/11 security checks still slow things down.


Clayton at the Hot Rod Cafe.


Lunch at Kristin and AJ's.



I just loved these three pictures of Aunt Kristin and Eli. He's a lucky little boy to have such a sweet aunt.




Eli (6 mo) and Cousin Alyssa (3 mo). I hope these two will be close.


Jack's not a baby anymore.

Julianne, Alyssa, Jack, Clayton, and Eli.

The trip back home went really smoothly as well. Ginny was able to get another gate pass, which helped tremendously, as security in Las Vegas is a lot more hectic than Oklahoma City. By the time we got through, got a bite to eat, changed Eli's diaper, and took Clayton to the potty, it was time to board. Papa graciously purchased a new DVD player for Clayton, so he spent the trip happily watching The Wiggles (gag), Cars, and Handy Manny. When we landed so many people, airport employees and fellow passengers, went out of their way to assist me, which I really appreciated. The shuttle man dropped me off at my car, instead of the pick up point, and two other passengers insisted on loading my bags for me. One man even offered to install the base of Eli's carseat in my car, which I declined, but I was impressed.

Overall, the trip was great. We love Las Vegas and hope we'll get back there soon.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great trip Wendy! I loved all the picture! It's hard to pick just a few to sum up what looks like a great trip. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, they are adorable! I'm so glad you guys got to go to Las Vegas to visit! Hope you have a great forth!

    ReplyDelete