Friday, December 5, 2008

Eli's Big Day



First of all, thank you to everyone for your prayers for this baby. This has been a very stressful pregnancy, and we are so grateful for Eli's safe arrival.

We arrived at the hospital at 5:30am to check in for the c-section, scheduled at 7:30am. Neither of my previous two c-sections were not anywhere close to on time, so I was surprised when they took me to the OR at 7:10. I have a history of nausea with anesthesia, and after some unpleasantness, the procedure started at 7:30am. Eli was born at 7:39am. Previously there have been no less than 20 people in the OR with us, everyone running around frantically. Today was different. I think there were about six people in there with us, and there were Christmas carols playing in the background. Everyone was calm and excited, such a nice change.

Shortly after his arrival, Eli went to the nursery, got a little bit of oxygen after possibly inhaling a little amniotic fluid, got a bath, and then he and Ryan were able to join me in my room. What a different experience for us. After a few minutes a nurse came in to let us know they were ready in the nursery for Eli's first echo cardiogram. A little later the pediatrician came by to say he had reviewed the echo, and although he was not a cardiologist, he felt everything was structurally normal. The scan is now being sent to Clayton's cardiologist for his official review. I'll admit that I'm still nervous about Eli's health, but so far everything is looking great. He's been a pretty sleepy guy today, but we're hoping he'll take in a little more food tomorrow.

Clayton spent the day with a friend today, and Ryan brought him up to the hospital for a few minutes this evening to meet his little brother. He was so excited to see the baby. He and Eli sat on Ryan's lap for a long time. Then Nan was able to take Clayton home for the night while Ryan stayed at the hospital with me.
Saturday:

This morning Eli still looks great. Ryan is taking Clayton to our squadron's children's Christmas party, and Nan and I are here at hospital together. The c-section recovery is going as well as possible. You really know what to expect the third time around, and I feel like I know what I should and shouldn't do at this time.

Thanks again for all your prayers.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Eli is beautiful and Clayton looks every bit the proud big brother. We will continue to pray for God's blessings on our very special Little Heart Family. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! It's nice to see you blogging again! And it's nice to see little Eli with Clayton - you guys sure make some cute kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy,
    I have been praying for you and baby your whole pregnancy. How gracious is our God to answer our feeble prayers! Elana called me yesterday morning to tell me everything was going well. I will continue to pray for little Eli and thank God for his mercies.
    What a beautiful name, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy and Ryan, your family is just beautiful. Eli is just precious and his big brother is just the cutest! Through your story God has turly worked in our family also. Thank you fo rbeing so honest and sharing with all of us on lookers along the way. You both are example of God's grace and mercy and I always look forward to hearing how you are doing. Your boys are just beautiful! Have a wonderful Christmas - Bridgette Foster (Eggen)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so I'm a little behind the 8 ball...But oh-my-word I am just so happy this morning!! Welcome little Eli!!! Congradulations my dear and precious friends! This is a long awaited precious blessing. KNOW that we love you all dearly! Best Christmas ever I'd say.
    Love, Cindy Lester

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on Eli's birth! He is such a handsome little hunk of man flesh...HA! Clayton is such a cutie and will be a wonderful helper and big brother. God is so good to meet our needs and provide His grace in all circumstances. God bless your family always and have a blessed Christmas and New Year to!
    We love you! Nanna & Popa Toone

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh that picture of clayton holding his baby brother is wonderful. you look great, and i hope everything is continuing to go well! hang in there as you recuperate. i'll still be praying for y'all.

    ReplyDelete