Thursday, July 23, 2009

Home Again!

Keeping with the travel theme of the summer, the boys and I have just returned from our most recent trek to College Station. We were able to celebrate my niece Elizabeth's first birthday with our friends and family. We stayed in town another week, and I was able to attend Ryan's friend Kyle's wedding in Bryan. My mom and dad kept the boys, and I was able to enjoy a night out without the kids. It was so nice to attend a dinner where I didn't have to cut anyone else's food.

We drove home Sunday afternoon. I was fortunate to have my mom accompany me. The traffic on I-35 was awful, thanks to three different construction zones that brought the flow to a complete stop. It took us over eight hours, which is not good time. We even kept our two stops short, as there were two of us to juggle the children. The kids did great. Eli only cried the last 15 minutes or so. Clayton only cried when we got home because he wanted to keep watching his DVD. You'd think after watching the same DVD six times (by his demand) that you'd want out of the car, but you'd be wrong.

Since we've been home, we've been taking it easy, and it's been nice having my mom's extra hands around here. Clayton went to the GI on Wednesday. He'd grown in height since his cradiology appointment in June, but he'd lost a little weight. We see the GI and the cardiologist in the same clinic, so it was the same scale. It was kind of sad, but we're keeping on the appetite stimulant, and hopefully he'll put on some more weight before his next appointment in October.

On a side note, scheduling our cardiology appointments is usually a nightmare. Long story short, the doctor's calendar is only available a couple months out, and we usually go every six months, so you have to keep calling to see if he has released the calendar you need. I usually call one day, and they'll tell me to call back the next week. When I do, the calendar has been released, and he's already booked for that month, so I have to try again for the following month. It's sooo frustrating. I had called Monday, and they gave me the "maybe next week" speech. When I was up in the clinic for the GI appointment on Wednesday, I asked the receptionist about the cardiac calendar. She told me the calendar was up, but she wasn't sure if scheduling had it yet. Urg (Note to self... begin frantic calling at least twice a day). After our appointment, she found me and told me she'd snagged me an appointment for the beginning of the month we need (Nov) before the calendar was released to the scheduling department. Hallelujah! Check that off the to-do list! I know it might not seem like a big deal to you, but trust me, it's stressful everytime, especially with the added worry of all the Fontan talk.

So, not much else going on in these parts. We're starting to get ready for our next excursion. Apparently we never stay home these days. I promise to be better with the camera for our next trip.

2 comments:

  1. We'd love to see you on one of your trips to College Station. I might even be able to get Jason into enemy territory (only briefly).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your time at home before you're off on your next adventure!

    ReplyDelete