Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Swine Flu

Yes, lucky us.  Clayton, the member of this family least in need of the swine flu, tested positive for it yesterday.  Urggg...  I've been working to keep him hand sanitized up, and out of public as much as possible without giving up church and preschool, but he's got it anyway.  Funny thing is, I was completely shocked by the test results.

Clayton has had a runny nose for over a month now.  I creditted this to preschool, his first time being with multiple other children for more than an hour at church on Sundays.  Last Friday afternoon he started running a low grade fever, which came and went over the weekend.  Monday morning there was a pretty significant cough, but no fever.  On Tuesday morning I thought I'd take him to the pediatrician, just to mention the everlasting runny nose and new cough.  She wanted to swab him for swine flu, and I consented, but neither of us felt this was the flu, as he just hasn't been sick enough, especially for a heart kid.

Well, we were wrong.  The test came back positive.  She prescribed Tamiflu, which he's been taking, and so far, so good.  He hasn't had any fever since Sunday morning (two days pre-Tamiflu).  He still has a pretty junky cough and the runny nose, and he's more a little more tired than usual, but other than that, he seems to be fine. 

Eli didn't have any flu symptoms, but the pediatrician did look him over, and found two "pretty significant" ear infections.  Mom of the Year, right here.  Who knew?  No fever, no cranky.  I'm not sure what else could have tipped me off.  By the way, Clayton and I have never had an ear infection, so this is new territory for me.

Anyway, a million prescriptions and over the counter meds later, we made it out of the pharmacy and home, where we've been ever since.

Clayton is doing really well with this, and I really hope he's building enough antibodies to fight off this thing the rest of the year.  I've had nightmares about swine flu since last spring, and recently reading about a child with HLHS dying from swine flu has not lessened my anxiety.  Keep your fingers crossed, and say a little prayer for Clayton's healing.  Please also say a little prayer for the rest of us, as we have zero desire to get the flu.

6 comments:

  1. Wendy, I am so sorry to hear this. You guys have our thoughts and prayers. Don't feel bad about the ear infection. I told Tyler to suck it up for a couple days because I thought he was trying to get out of preschool! OOPS!! He has never had one either. Keep us updated on how Clayton is doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I'm praying for a speedy recovery. Don't feel bad about the ear infection. Nate has had so many ear infections he has tubes now and he has NEVER had any symptoms. No fever, no crankiness, no pulling on his ear. I only found out about the first few when we took him in for other things. Finally, we figured out the only clue was that our otherwise excellent sleeper would wake up in the night when he had an ear infection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Clayton has a speedy recovery. Sending thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, We will keep you all in our prayers and pray for a speedy recovery for Clayton. I also have been worried about the H1N1 and my son. We will checking with his doctor today to set up an appointment for his vac. We are sending you all our prayers and good thoughts.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh! i am so sorry! i thought we had it here, but it was croup. still, we have had a pretty sick family for over a week but finally getting over it. glad clayton isnt doing too badly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad both boys are doing OK with their illnesses. I have felt the race against the clock this month..."Will my kids get the Swine Flu or the vaccine first?" Here I am with a sick little Finley. I HATE fevers!!!!! I am praying your guys do well!
    Sonja
    PS you are like my mom-hero!

    ReplyDelete