Thursday, December 24, 2009

Blizzard 2009

So, we're having a blizzard today.  Sustained winds in the 40s, gusts into the 60s, 22 degrees, 0 windchill, 0 visibility.  Lucky for us, it also rained a lot overnight, so under all that snow is a nice thick sheet of ice.  Ryan went into work early this morning before it got bad.  Thankfully he was able to make it home with only one very minor fender bender when someone tapped him from behind.  It was just a tiny scratch.  Praise Jesus, as there has been so much worse around here, and we're not exactly seasoned ice drivers.  They have now officially closed all interstates in the state of Oklahoma.  It's looking like most churches, ours included, have cancelled all their Christmas Eve services.  It's really bad out there, and I'm disappointed we won't be able to go to church, but now that my husband is home in one piece, and we're here in our nice, warm home, I'm pretty content.  Looks like it will be a white Christmas for us.  Good thing we didn't have any travel plans.

Our backyard

When I opened our front door, I noticed this package on the porch.  I cannot believe the USPS.  They delivered on the day of our record breaking ice storm two years ago, and now they're delivering in this storm.  I did hear someone call into the news a little while ago saying that their mailman was stuck at their house!  Our mail lady is severely cranky, so I'm relieved she didn't get stuck here.

We couldn't get the storm door opened because of the snow, so Ryan had to break the layer of ice off the garage door and go around to the front door.  Kristin, your package made it!

The view from our garage.  That's our neighbor's car.

The street that T's in front of our house.

Now if you happen to be reading this blog from South Dakota (you know who you are), this is probably no biggie for you, but this is a pretty big deal where we live in Oklahoma.  It's not too often we see this kind of weather in this part of the state. 

Times like these make me so thankful I have a warm home and plenty of food in the pantry.  I know the shelters are overwhelmed today, and I hope they are doing okay.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad everyone is home safe and I have to say that I am a little excited for CLaytone, getting a white Christmas!!! Merry CHristmas to you and yours,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe those pictures!!! Were you dreaming of a white Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!! I'm glad you all were safe and cozy and I hope that 5 days later everything is back to normal weather wise!

    ReplyDelete