Thursday, January 27, 2011

Great Wolf Lodge

We have recently returned from a short trip to Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine, Texas.  It was a little trip to celebrate Ryan's return and spend some time together as a family.  We had such an amazing time.  Great Wolf Lodge is basically a large hotel with an indoor water park reserved only for guests.  There are several restaurants in the hotel, plus all kinds of other kids activities and entertainment.  It's kind of like a resort with an indoor water park.

I must admit, I had my doubts about taking three very young children to a water park, but I read up on it, and every review I could find said it was possible.  We were able to go in the middle of last week, which was a huge blessing because the place was practically empty and the rates were great.  Although we would have survived, our time in the water park was so much easier because it was really easy to keep an eye on Clayton and Eli with so few people there. 

We arrived on Wednesday night and had just enough time to head down to the water park for an hour before they closed.  Clayton and Eli were terrified of the entire thing, and I was really scared I'd made a bad decision.  It's very noisy with all the water slides and wave pools echoing inside, and Clayton is often bothered by loud noise.  Eli is pretty cautious about water in general.  He doesn't like to get his face wet, even in the bathtub.  It was also a little chillier in there than I had expected.  I was pretty nervous.

On Thursday morning we went down there a little more rested and a little better fed.  The boys slowly started to warm up to the idea of the place, and by lunch time, Eli was begging, "Stay in pool Mommy!"  Clayton was loving the shallow little kids areas and the beach entry to the big wave pool.

 Getting ready for the pool.

 This is where Clayton spent the majority of his time.  He loved trying to squirt us with the water gun on the front of this jet ski.

Shockingly, Aaron was even able to catch a morning nap down by the toddler pool.  Can we say "Pilsbury Dough Boy?"  Wow.  He's a wee bit chunkier than my other boys.

We swam again Thursday afternoon and then for a while Friday morning before checking out.  The kids had a blast, except when Ryan sent Clayton down a really big waterslide for a little boy, and Clayton ended up head first on his back.  Needless to say, he wasn't happy, and he wouldn't even go down the baby slides after that.  Otherwise, it was so much fun.  Ryan and I even took some time taking turns watching the kids in the baby area while the other rode all the adult slides.  There were no lines, so it was quick and easy, and the slides were actually really fun, fast, and a little scary, at least to me.  We would have liked to have ridden some together, but it just wasn't possible with the kids.  Next time we'll have to take Nan and Pop so we can have some extra babysitters around.

Together in the lobby.  Yes, I know.  It's not great.  I'm okay with it.  One day my children will look at a camera.  One day.

Waiting for the nightly clock tower show.

Watching the clock tower show, followed by a bedtime story.

We packed up and left right at lunchtime.  If you know Eli, you know once this boy gets hungry, look out.  He must eat, and he must eat immediately.  He was so starving, and I felt so bad for him as Ryan and I were trying to speed load the van in the freezing cold weather.  The only thing I could reach was a chocolate chip cookie, and at that point, I didn't care.  Just give him something.  He gobbled it up, and this was the scene before we could even get out of the parking lot.  Note the crumbs everywhere (a huge pet peeve of mine).  Eek!  This van needs a vacuuming.

All in all, we had a GREAT trip.  I totally recommend Great Wolf Lodge; however, if you can, try to go during the week.  I've heard the weekends are really packed, and it was really so much fun to be some of the only people there.

2 comments:

  1. That place looks awesome! We will definately have to keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I am glad you guys had such a great trip!

    ReplyDelete