Monday, February 14, 2011

Things Heard Around Here

Kids say the most interesting things, and around here, Ryan and I say some interesting things as well.  I always say that I need to do a better job writing these things down, so here's a start. 

Things Heard Round Here

Lately Clayton is into reenacting scenes from movies and TV shows.   His latest obsession is the scene from Cars where Mack falls asleep on the highway, and the "mean cars" come by and wake him up.  Clayton insists I reenact this scene with him at least once a day.

Clayton's most misunderstood words by people outside our home:

door (four)
dude (food)
dork (fork)
diretwuck (firetruck)
wup-wup (ruff-ruff)

Notice the "f" theme?  F's are usually pronounced as "d" or "p."

Anytime something is wrong in the house, Clayton chimes in with "We've got a bad situation here."  I have no idea where that came from.

I do however know where "What were you thinking?" comes from.  He says this to Eli often.  At least I know he's hearing me when I say it to him.  In case you were wondering, this is a completely ineffective parenting question.  It's usually just met with the all too common Clayton blank stare (AKA the "no speakie English" stare).

Eli. Every word he speaks comes out loudly and with such force.  These days he cannot be quiet, EVER, especially in the car.  He refuses to just sit back and enjoy the ride.  He feels he must carry on constant conversation at the top of his lungs, mostly about the apple of his eye, trashcans.  Yes, that's right.  He has an extremely unhealthy obsession with trashcans.  It was funny a long time ago, but now, Mommy is ready for him to develop some new interests.

Our usual car conversation:

Eli: Trashcan.  Trashcan.  Trashcan, Mommy?  Trashcan dump out?  Trashcan dump out, Mommy?  Trashcan.  Nother trashcan.  Nother trashcan, Mommy?  Trashcan gucky?  Trashcan gucky, Mommy?  Repeat a thousand times over with extreme gusto.  No one else says a word.  Mommy usually turns up the radio and tries to tune it out.  Oh, and a big thank you to all my neighbors who store their trashcans on the sides of their houses where we can see them as we drive down our street every day, multiple times a day.  This only fuels the fire.

Lately, Eli is either humpy or tirsey.  Yes, hungry or thirsty.  Every time he tells me he's humpy, I have to chuckle.  He's so serious, and it sounds so funny to me.

DayTON nauTee.  Clayton's naughty.  This is heard anytime Clayton's doing anything Eli doesn't like.  Sometimes it's something naughty.  Usually it's nothing.

Night-night Binkie!  Eli screams this out almost every time he's corrected or disciplined.  He's still completely binkie dependent at night and for naps.  When he's not happy, he thinks maybe he can change the subject, get in bed, and chill out with a binkie for a while.  His plan never works, but he still tries.

Hode on Tie.  Hold on tight.  Eli says this repeatedly every time he's in a shopping cart.  Am I really that crazy of a driver?

KeyKey (Cookie)

WoWum (Yogurt; I cannot explain this one) and it's cousin WoWum Dink (Yogurt drink)

Ah-Do (Apple juice; all juices are apple juice to Eli.  Other than orange juice, we don't typically have juice in our house, so I don't know why he always requests apple juice.)

Anyway, it's a start to a list of things I'd like to remember in the future.  I'm sure one day I'll wake up and no one will be begging me for "WoWum" or telling me they're "Door" but will be "Dive" on their birthday.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh...I am dying over the "We've got a bad situation here." That is so funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm loving the trashcan obsession. :)

    and you know i have to pipe in as an SLP with my "f" comment.... is clayton working on that in speech!? you can SO teach him at home!! it's one that is not too hard to see in the mirror. if you want some tips, email me. :) if you don't, then DINE! DORGET IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and another question... you are really driving down your street multiple times a day!? wow, i'm impressed that you get out so much. i'm good if i drive down my street multiple times a WEEK. :) i miss you!!!! will you EVER have the hankering for a beach vacation!??!?! probably about the same time i have a hankering to go to the mid-west. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm cracking up over these! I'm also inspired to write down some of Cait's special words! They are all growing up too "dast!!" Anyway, glad you guys are doing well in all that snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post made me happy! Very happy, in fact, as in laugh out loud happy. Thank you - I needed that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a great post! I laughed and laughed!!

    ReplyDelete