Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It's That Time Again

Time for some baby food.  Aaron sampled some rice cereal for the first time about two weeks ago.  It went as well as expected (translation: a ton on the face, very little down the hatch), but he stayed happy throughout the meal.


All done.  Two days later we left on our Great Wolf Lodge vacation.  Aaron hadn't had much success with the cereal, so I decided for convenience sake, we'd just put it away and work on it again when we got home three days later.  That was a mistake.  On our trip this baby acted like I'd cut out all his meals.  He acted like he was STARVING the entire trip.  Within about two minutes of arriving home, he was chugging down a bowl of cereal like he'd been doing it his whole life.

Needless to say, we were ready to move onto to something else last week.  I opted for squash.  Before you think I make all my own baby food, I'll confess I don't.  I made some of Clayton's and almost none of Eli's.  I have a little bit of new resolve to make more of Aaron's though.  Baby food is expensive for what it is.  That's true, but to me the bigger issue is all that packaging.  Whether it's the plastic or glass, there's just so much trash.  Baby food is easy to make, so I'm making an effort to make as much as I can without killing myself (or making it at midnight, like I did this batch).

It looks yummy!

It's no blue fruit snack.  That's for sure.

We have had much better luck with the squash in the last few days, and now we've added some applesauce to the mix as well, which Aaron loves.

Eating baby food is not a newborn thing to do.  Sniff, sniff.  Did I mention Aaron was six months old on Saturday?  Where's my baby?

2 comments:

  1. I think you did it just right. Gave him a taste and then took it away. Make him think about what he was missing while you were on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wendy, I know I owe you an email too but I wanted to give you a kudos on making your own baby food. I made all of Faith's and have started Rebekah on peas and I love making it my self, so much more variety and it smells better too. I have a great cookbook that I will send you the link to in my next email :)
    Erika

    ReplyDelete