Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Few Homeschool Memories, Part 1

Homeschool has been a new adventure for us this year.  I had never pictured myself as a homeschooling mom until I was actually doing it.  Teaching Clayton while managing Eli and Aaron is definitely a challenge, and no two days are exactly alike.  We do some things all together, other things individually, and some things the big boys work on together.  I plan mostly for Clayton, and then whoever else wants to participate is welcome.  So far, it works on most days, and so far, I'm happy with the arrangement.

Most days I'm up to my elbows in the nitty gritty, but every now and then I remember to grab my camera so we can remember a few of these kindergarten moments.

We ordered our curriculum from Sonlight this year.  I had a couple friends already using Sonlight, it is a heavily literature based curriculum, and it comes with 180 day lesson plans.  It was a good fit for a busy Christian mom who loves to read and wants her children to love reading too.  Clayton was so excited to receive our books.  He unpacked the box book by book.



When Clayton saw The Story of Ping, he was sold.  This is a family favorite.

Of course Curious George is exciting too.

This was our first day of homeschool.  We talked about dinosaurs and both boys were excited to try to identify their toy dinosaurs.


Our first official field trip was to the Chickasaw Cultural Center in Sulphur, OK.  It was a million degrees outside, and the campus was much larger and spread out than I realized, but the boys did great.  It is really a beautiful place to learn about Chickasaw history and culture.

When studying weather, we made this rainbow pizza on a sugar cookie crust with cream cheese frosting.  Needless to say, it didn't last long.

Let's eat!

In October, I took the boys to Myriad Garden's Pumpkinville.  It was so much fun.  I love Myriad Gardens, and it's one of the places I miss most about OKC.

Painting pumpkins

Checking out the tractor

Hello Aaron.

Eli

Aaron likes to teach too. Here he is saying, "One, two, three, ten.  One, two, three, ten."  We've been working on that.


It was about this time that we packed up and moved to Georgia, so I'll stop here for now.  We're all learning a lot this year, moving slowly but surely at our own pace, studying the things we like, while focusing a lot of our energy on reading, writing, and arithmetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment