Saturday, May 2, 2009

Clayton Update

Clayton had his three year well check up and his GI appointment last week. He's now 25.4 pounds and 33.5 inches, which means he's up 3/4 of an inch and over 3/4 of a pound in the last three months. Yeah! Considering he'd only gained 3/4 of a pound and not grown at all in the previous 9 months, that was pretty good. I must say that I've had my doubts about the appetite stimulant, but I think overall he does eat better when he's on it. Our GI doctor is most concerned about Clayton's height, so I'm thrilled he grew a little. They went ahead and upped the dose on the appetite stimulant a little to see what happens, and I'm pleased to report that Clayton has been eating me out of house and home this last week. We go back in three months for another check up.

When I first got to Stanford when I was pregnant with Colin, my mom and I met this really nice mom, Frances, and her mother, Barbara. Frances's baby girl had a liver transplant and had been pretty sick her entire life. As a result, she was absolutely the tiniest 9 month old I'd ever seen. She was still wearing all newborn clothes. I asked Frances about Grace's weight once, and she told me Grace was in the 2nd percentile for weight. A few seconds later she said, "Well, actually she's not anywhere near the chart, but I like to say the 2nd % because it sounds better." We all chuckled about that.

I've always remembered that as Clayton has drifted further and further off the chart. I usually just tell people he's pretty near the bottom. Well, with all the recent weight gain, I'm pleased to say that Clayton is now in the 1.57% for weight. I'm rounding up, so now, for real, Clayton is in the 2nd percentile. I know Frances would be pleased. His height was in the 0.29%, so we just won't talk about that, or maybe we'll just embellish slightly and say he's in the second percentile. Wink wink.

No comments:

Post a Comment