Sunday, May 8, 2011

Double Celebration!

Today was Mother's Day and my birthday, and it was the best Mother's Day/birthday I've had in a long time, mainly because Ryan has been gone for both events for the last two years.  The Air Force gods relented this year though, and my husband was finally home, attempting to make up for past years.

Our morning was rushed, as Sunday mornings always are, but we actually made it to church somewhat on time.  Gasp.  We were all shocked.  Clayton sang (actually sang, didn't just stand there like a zombie) in the Sunday school choir, and I was very pleased.  After church we headed out to the base for the Mother's Day brunch at the club.  Oh wow.  It was amazing.  Club food is usually hit or miss, but it was definitely a hit today.  Eli and Clayton ate two full plates each from the buffet.  They were free, so that was a bargain.  All three kids were amazingly behaved, and (tooting my horn slightly) received several compliments from the droves of retirees there. 

When we got home, the kids and I took much needed naps while Ryan made me an ice cream birthday cake and cooked dinner.  Ice cream cakes are a favorite of ours, and we've started making them from time to time for each other.  It was mint chocolate chip ice cream and chocolate cake, my favorite.  Yum.  He even frosted it with pink icing.  I was so excited to have a pink cake because, I'll say it again, there is very little pink about my life.

I know this cake says 31, but I think I'm really just 26 this year, so just ignore those candles.

After dinner there were gifts and cake, pajamas, stories, and bedtime for boys.  I've spent the evening relaxing.  What a day.  I wish it was Mother's Day/my birthday everyday.  Now I'd better get to bed because Monday is coming, and we all know what Mondays feel like.

Mama's boys getting ready for bed.  Love these babies, and miss my oldest.

Happy Mother's Day to my mom and all my mom friends!  I miss you all and are grateful to have so many great examples of motherhood to follow.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had an awesome birthday and Mother's Day. Go, Ryan! What a great cake! Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Happy Birthday and Happy Mother's Day! Double yay for a pink cake! You need all the pink you can get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Wendy!!! So glad you guys had a great day!

    ReplyDelete