Sunday, September 20, 2009

Branson Vacation, Part 2

Day 2: Fish Hatchery and Dixie Stampede

On Day 2 of our vacation to Branson, we got up and went down to the fish hatchery. In all my online research parent after parent raved about how much their kids loved the fish hatchery and feeding the fish. Shepherd of the Hills Fish Hatchery produces rainbow and brown trout for Missouri lakes, as well as eggs and "pre-egg stuff" for other hatcheries in the state. After visiting there, the process of fishing for your food seems so much less natural than I previously thought. Almost all the trout caught in Missouri are produced in hatcheries like this one. Boring, I know. Anyway, Clayton really did enjoy feeding all the fish, and although fish production was not one of my lifelong interests, I did learn a lot.

After lunch and naps we took the boys to The Dixie Stampede, Dolly Parton's show in Branson. For my Vegas friends, think King Arthur's Tournament, but Civil War, North vs. South. From what I had read, it was the most family friendly show that would keep young children's interest. This may have actually been the highlight of the trip. Clayton was on pins and needles the entire show. His eyes never left the performance. He squealed in delight the entire hour and a half. He ate a little of his dinner, but he ate almost every bite of his apple pastry dessert. This boy was in heaven. Ryan and I enjoyed the show as well. It was super cheesy, but it was funny and completely clean. Watching Clayton enjoy the show was the best part.

Day 3: Fantastic Caverns and Branson Landing
The next morning we headed up to Fantastic Caverns, "America's only ride thru cave." Branson has several cave tours in the area, but this one took you on a tram ride, and that's what we needed with the two little ones. It was very cool, but I think once you've been to Carlsbad Caverns, it's hard for any other caves to compete. However, you have to hike into Carlsbad, so Fantastic Caverns wins my family friendly vote.

That evening was a lazy one. We hung out at Branson Landing, the new outdoor mall and watched the fountain show huddled under our one umbrella in a downpour.

Day 4: Silver Dollar City
Our last day (if you're actually still reading this) was spent at Silver Dollar City, Branson's big amusement park. I had my doubts about taking a three year old and a baby to an amusement park, but we had a great time. The best part was going on a mid-September weekday when almost no one was there. We were able to ride a couple little rides with the kids, and we went to one of the stage shows. Since there were NO lines, Ryan and I took turns riding some rollercoasters. We had planned to leave the park around 3 or 4pm because we were making the five hour trip home that night, but we were having such a good time, and the kids were hanging in there, so we stayed until close at 6:30pm (I told you Branson is not for night owls!).


The drive home was uneventful, except for the miserable rain, which thankfully had held off until after we left the park.

It was a busy but wonderful vacation, and I'm so thankful we had the opportunity to get out of town and spend a few days together as a family. I'm a retired scrapbooker, but I might have to dust off my old paper cutter and document this trip because it was soooo much fun.

2 comments:

  1. you were so close to us!
    anyway, looks like a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very behind on blogging and blog reading! I loved reading your post about your vacay to Branson. Looks and sounds like you had a great time. You certaninly found lots of great family friendly activities! Glad you got away on a "real" family vacation!

    ReplyDelete