Saturday, September 12, 2009

Preschool

I would imagine that when many children are born parents have big dreams of all the milestones their children will experience. When will they walk? When will they say, "I love you, Mom." What sports will they play? What opportunities will I try to provide? When will they know God's love? And where will they go to school?

I can honestly say that none of these questions ever crossed our minds when Clayton was born. All we could think about was how long he would live. Sometimes it's still hard to get past that question, with so much unknown hanging in the future, but then I have to remind myself that none of us knows how long we will live, and that's why we focus on today and worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

All this is to say that when Clayton was born my brain would have never allowed me to wrap my mind around the fact that he might one day go to preschool. Yesterday that happened, and I am so excited about it, and Clayton was too.

Clayton is attending preschool at our church, two days a week from 9:30 t0 2:30. After much debate and consultation, we decided to enroll him in the two year old class. We felt this was the better fit for his abilities and for his upcoming Fontan. Thursday night we went to Open House. Clayton's teacher goes to our church, so we have seen her around and met her once or twice before. We checked out the classroom, got all our info, and went to the gym and music room to meet those teachers, both of whom are friends from my Bible study.


Open House

Friday was the big day, and Clayton was pumped. It was absolutely pouring outside, but we made it on time for drop off. I tried so hard to get a good "first day of school" picture, but this boy would have none of it. He knew where he needed to go and didn't have time for pictures. While several other children and parents were crying, Clayton ran into his classroom, and I didn't see him again. Ryan went back down the hall a few minutes later and said Clayton was in the middle of the playroom, playing with toys, while all the other children were standing around him looking shell shocked.


Pick up was actually the hard part of the day for Clayton. His teacher said he had laid quietly on his mat all through naptime, but he didn't fall asleep. This boy was tired and cranky. We could not get him in his bed fast enough when we got home. After an hour of protesting, he finally fell asleep, and it was needed. This morning he is currently sleeping in, as I think he's worn out.

I'm so proud of my big boy, but more importantly, I'm so grateful he's had the opportunity to reach this milestone. He's living life like a regular kid, and that is always the goal.

4 comments:

  1. GO Clayton!!! Congratulations on your first day of Preschool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Clayton and Congrats Wendy and Ryan! What a big day for all of you. Continued prayers for you sweet little one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- what an awesome day for ya'll. I love your blog page. What an awesome job you have done captivating your family highlights. I love you and miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think the pictures you got are adorable! looks like he had a blast.

    ReplyDelete