Friday, July 16, 2010

Vacation Bible School

Clayton just finished his first Vacation Bible School at our church.  It could not have been better.  I had been helping out at the church a couple mornings a week getting things ready for the last month or so, so Clayton had seen the decorations going up and had heard the music, but I could tell he had no idea what VBS would be like.  I was very pleased when I learned who his teacher would be, and I really hoped he would have a really great experience and behave himself.

I think things went really well.  Preschool was a big adjustment for Clayton last year.  He's a homebody who has very little desire to get dressed in the morning, and I hate to admit it, but most days it was like pulling teeth to get him out the door to school.  I was worried about VBS, but Clayton got out of bed every morning so excited to get dressed and get to the church.  He was excited every morning when I dropped him off, and he could not wait to show me his craft each day when I picked him up.  I bought the music CD for him at the beginning of the week, and it's the only CD we've been allowed to listen to in the car and the only CD he's listened to during his naptime.  He has a particular favorite song, and it is so cute.  He has motions and everything.  It's too funny.  The ocean voyage theme didn't hurt anything either, as Clayton is really into ships and pirates.  He's been watching Jonah, the VeggieTales movie. 

Tonight was the Salty Seas Grand Finale.  The preschoolers performed Clayton's favorite song, and it was too cute.  Then there were hotdogs, chips, and drinks and lots of outdoor water games.  Ryan sweated it out with the boys outside while I sat around with all the new babies in the gym (we've had a baby boom in the church in the last month, and there are a couple more coming soon).  The boys had a blast in the kiddie pools and sprinklers.

I'm so pleased Clayton had such a great VBS experience.  It helps when you have a great teacher and great volunteers running music, crafts, stories, etc.  I hope he'll look forward to this for years to come.  I love seeing kids get great, positive, joyful experiences at church.  Loving Jesus should be fun, and that's just what VBS was for Clayton.

1 comment:

  1. Brady is in VBS right now at The Naval Academy and to say that he is obsessed with it is an understatement. Wow, he loves it. I'm glad Clayton had such a positive experience and I agree, I hope they will continue to enjoy VBS week every summer.

    ReplyDelete