Friday, June 17, 2011

Clayton Update

So it's been an interesting week for Mr. Clayton.  It's a long story.

The last couple months, Ryan and I would agree that Clayton has had a little less energy than is usual for him.  This is not something that has come out of the blue, and we have always known that he would grow more and more in need of a Fontan as time progressed.  We had a cardiology appointment in January, and his heart function and valves all looked good, but now it's been a few months, and I'm beginning to wonder about a few things. 

About a week ago, I noticed Clayton limping.  I didn't think anything of it.  I thought it was just a game or pretending.  I didn't think there had been any injury that would cause a limp.  On Tuesday afternoon I realized he had been limping a lot, and, not wanting to suggest anything, I started watching him more closely.

On Wednesday I took the kids to the splashpad at 11am.  We had been at 9am the week before, and Clayton had complained about being cold the entire time.  The water was cold, and there was a breeze, so I decided to go at a little warmer time of the day, thinking the warmth and the cold water would be a good combination.  When we got there, he was already tired.  He played for a few minutes and then stood around doing nothing for a while.  I asked him what was wrong.  He said he was hungry.  I pulled out the picnic, and he ate nothing.  Then he didn't want to get back in the splashpad.  He sat in the stroller in the shade the 15 or so minutes more we were there.  I did carry him to the splashpad to wet his hair because I was afraid he was overheating.  When we got home, he marched directly to my room, his nap spot, and slept for just over four hours.  When he got up, he refused to come to the table for dinner, so I let him lay on the couch and watch a movie.  It was at this time that I really started to notice his knee, on the limping leg, was swollen.  At about 8pm I realized he was running a fever.  He had Tylenol then and at 3am and woke up chipper and hungry Thursday morning. 

I told you it was a long story.

Clayton was great all morning Thursday, but I was starting to be concerned about his knee, so I made a pediatrician appointment for that afternoon.  I thought he was cured from whatever was bothering him the day before until about 11am, when he suddenly wanted to be held (Clayton????), and fell asleep on my shoulder while I was having lunch at church in a noisy room with about 20 other ladies.  Strange.  Then he was miraculously fine by the time our appointment rolled around, and has been since.

We really have three issues that may or may not be related here.

1) Possible cardiac function issues.
2) Possible virus/infection.
3) Possible knee injury/other joint ailment.

We've started by attempting to have Clayton's August cardio appointment pushed up.  Wish us luck with that one.  We'll see.  We went over to the hospital and got x-rays of the knee.  Those came back with nothing today, so we went back over to the hospital and got bloodwork.

Please say a little prayer for Clayton.  He is usually in such good health, and he still is, he just has a few issues going on right now.  He's been happy and healthy all day today, just still has the limp.  It's my prayer that the knee just heals itself, and he doesn't have any other issues going on.

In the meantime, we're living in denial and planning to meet up with some high school friends tomorrow.  I can't wait.  We're really looking forward to it.  Clayton will be the one in the stroller.

4 comments:

  1. Praying for Clay-bug. Give him an extra kiss from Aunt Meg and tell him I love him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my friend, we will be praying. Dern those fears that creep into the back of our minds... May your minds have peace. Love you all, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clayton is definitely in our prayers, as are all of you!!! I soo wish I wa closer so I could help out. Since I'm not, I'll do exactly what I can...pray!!! Love you all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying...lots!

    ReplyDelete