Thursday, June 2, 2011

Finding the Time

I love sewing.  I'm not great, but I love the challenge of figuring out a pattern and going for it.  Sometimes it works out great, sometimes not as great, but I always have fun creating something from a piece of fabric or two.  Aaron's arrival has definitely put a dent in my sewing time, but now I'm finally feeling a little more "in the groove" with my life and have managed to eek out a few little projects lately.

Today's accomplishment was baby shoes for Aaron.  I have a dangerous attraction to expensive baby shoes, and for what?  They don't even walk in them.  I know.  I have several nice pairs of hand-me-down shoes for Aaron, but Aaron is my biggest baby, and I'm embarrassed for him when I say that his Robeez are getting a little tight around the ankles due to all his lovely chunkiness.  I saw this pattern, and it looked easy enough, and I knew I'd be able to adjust the elastic to fit his little ankles, so I gave it a try.  It was super easy, and I'll definitely be making more. 



I think he likes them.

I will admit this was not my first fabric choice, but I was really low on boyish fabric, and this was what I had on hand.  I try really hard not to take the boys to the fabric store with me because there is a strange spirit there that makes them act like complete monsters every time we walk in the door, so I went with what I already had on hand.  The bottoms are suede (which I picked up for nearly nothing on sale a couple weeks ago), and the insides are lined with red fabric with white stars.  I also like that they are cotton, as opposed to leather Robeez, which I think will be cooler for this summer.  They will be great for the Fourth of July, and Aaron has several outfits that are red, white, and blue that he can wear them with.  At ten months, he's not even crawling yet, so I don't foresee walking anytime in the near future, which means these little crib shoes will still be handy for a while.

5 comments:

  1. I am totally impressed. I love sewing too, but don't know what I am doing (at all). I don't even think I would try to make shoes. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl, i am so IMPRESSED. you are blowing me away with those sewing skills! love those shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those shoes are absolutely adorable! And as far as being crafty goes.. I still absolutely LOVE the cloths you made for Locke. I refuse to give them up, even if he no longer needs them. He still loves his blanket, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHH!! So cute!! Very impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete