Monday, May 27, 2013

Up to Atlanta

We took our first family trip up to Atlanta today.  We have really wanted to visit the Georgia Aquarium, but knowing that it was Memorial Day, we decided we didn't want to deal with the crowds.  Instead we opted for the World of Coca Cola, hoping it wouldn't be too crowded.


Aaron has a thing for polar bears.  He sleeps with his "po bear" every night.  I wasn't sure what he'd think about the Coca Cola polar bear, seeing as he was a little terrified of the Chick-fil-A cow just last week, but he marched right up to this polar bear and snuggled up to him.  As we were leaving, he said, "Hey, Po Bear didn't give me a kiss."  The polar bear bent down and "kissed" him.  Then we could go.

I had to show Eli this display about recycling Coke bottles because he's obsessed with all things recycling.  You should see the insane amount of trash in my garage waiting to be driven to the recycling center.  Eli won't let me throw away anything that can be recycled, and of course we don't have curbside pick up here.

By the time we were done, it was after two, and these boys were tired and had not eaten lunch.  Yikes.  I wanted a picture, but after about 12 attempts, it was clear that wasn't going to happen without some food in their bellies.  Clayton's holding up his "free" Coke from the tour.  He is so excited about having a Coke.  It's an almost nonexistent treat around here.  It's in the fridge now.  Maybe tomorrow.

Baja Fresh was just across the street, and as much as I would have liked to find something more local, these boys were beat, and I was pretty excited to have a taste of home.  Baja was one of our regulars in Nevada and California.  Who knew they'd have one in Atlanta?

After lunch, we changed the boys into their swimsuits and headed to Centennial Olympic Park.  The park is beautiful, right in the middle of downtown, and I knew the Fountain of Rings would be a fun place for the boys to get a little wet.  

We arrived just in time to see one of the water shows, along with the rest of Atlanta.

The boys watching the fountain show, waiting to play.

It was big and crowded, every mama's nightmare.  Ryan and I decided on the divide and conquer approach.  I kept my eyes on Clayton and Aaron.  Ryan kept his eyes on Eli and my purse.  He's a winner, that one.

I know I talk about so many changes in Clayton over the past couple years, but here I go again.  Clayton hasn't really played in fountains like this for the last two summers.  The cold water really bothered his joints.  He would usually just lay on a beach towel or relax in the stroller while the other kids played.  Now he can't get enough.  He loves to play in water now.

Aaron liked the fountain, but there were a lot of people, and after a few minutes he needed a Gatorade break.  It made my child tracking immensely easier.

My sweet Eli.  He's a case.

Aaron decided to dance a jig.  Not sure where that came from.

Clayton

Overall, we had a great day in Atlanta.  We can't wait to go back and visit the aquarium, preferably on a non-holiday weekday.  There are a few other things I know we'll enjoy as well.  One of the perks of military life is getting to see new places.  It's always most fun in the beginning, when every place is new.



1 comment:

  1. Love all the pictures and updates. Those boys are growing up so fast! I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete