Wednesday, April 14, 2010

It's Still a Boy!

I had another Level II ultrasound with echo today.  First things, first.  This baby is in fact still a boy, obviously a boy, absolutely all boy. 

The tech and high-risk doctor spent a lot of time looking at the baby's heart.  The doctor is usually pretty quiet and intense while he examines the baby, and today was no different.  I think my heart races through the entire exam.  I can see the left ventricle, and I'm constantly trying to assess how much blood is in there and if it's actually pumping itself, or if it's just along for the ride (like Clayton's).  After a few minutes on the heart, the doctor began pointing out all the different structures, and he said that everything looked wonderful.  Everything looks to be where it should be and was size appropriate.  He said that if he had more time he'd take some extra pictures to use in his lectures because everything looked so great, and the baby was in a really good position for the exam. 

What a relief!  I'm 23 weeks now, and this is right in the ideal window to look at the heart.  There is always the possibility of smaller defects that can't always be seen at this point (ASD/VSD), but we're almost sure this baby doesn't have any major cardiac complications.  The doctor then said he really didn't want to see me back for 7, that's SEVEN, whole weeks.  What?  I've never gone seven weeks without an echo in any of my pregnancies.  He said to trust him, so I did.  He will do another echo at 30 weeks, and then hopefully, we'll call it good. 



The baby kept his hands up near his face for most of the appointment, but there are a couple shots where he moves his hands down just long enough to get a good look at his face.

We're looking forward to early August.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an answer to prayer! Wendy, we are so thrilled for you guys. We will continue to pray for you and we appreciate the updates. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete